Thursday, June 16, 2011

Braised Memphis Barbecue Pork Belly with Roasted Tomatoes and Smoked Gruyere Southern Grits

This is it. This is the real thing guys. Have you ever been eating ribs and just wondered if that meat could be twice as thick, even more fatty, even more meaty, and without the obnoxious bone? Here... it is..
























For real y'all. This is like having a giant chunk of nothing but rib meat. After every bite I took I laid on the ground with my eyes closed in pure bliss, partially because I was entering a food coma and partially because it was just so good. So good. The tomatoes were a delicious, colorful addition that made the sauce really sing. Instead of using a tomato based barbecue sauce, I thought some barbecue roasted tomatoes would incorporate some nice tomato flavor. I also kept it straight up Memphis style giving it a Willingham's dry rub and slow cookin' it, but I took it a little bit further and made a pan sauce out of all the fat that dripped out. I made up this recipe so nothing is really exact, but I'll try to help you guys recreate it if you're so inclined. 

3 comments: